Monday 30 April 2012

Astrology Spotting: Hong Kong

A couple of days ago, I visited Chi Lin Nunnery and Nan Lian Garden in Kowloon, Hong Kong (www.nanliangarden.org).  Just as I was about to leave, I came across a monument called 'The Light of Enlightenment'.  
I was more interested in the sundial at the base so I took a closer look:
Unfortunately, I couldn't make any sense of the sundial at all

So I moved onto the next panel:
Can you spot the dragonflies?  I couldn't tell if they were part of the clock until one flew away!  My sister commented on the symbols, saying they look astrological, but I told her they're not and I wouldn't expect to see astrology glyphs at a Buddhist garden...how wrong I was!

As you can imagine, I was totally gobsmacked when I saw this:
I don't really understand how the sundial on the right works...

I also found the phases of the moon on another panel:

Here's a map showing the location of Hong Kong in relation to China:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flowing with the Full Moon in Scorpio 2024

 A powerful full moon occurs at 4 degrees Scorpio on 23rd April 2024 at 7:48am HK time (00:48 BST). The modern ruler of this full moon, Plut...