Friday 14 August 2009

Cultural Differences in Face Reading

My sister forwarded me an article on the BBC News website, which I thought was interesting in response to my previous post on cultural differences.

The researchers have found that East Asians are more likely to focus on the eyes when reading facial expressions in comparison to their western counterparts, whom are more likely to scan the whole face - including the mouth.  This is extended to emoticons, where the eyes are exaggerated in the east compared to the mouth in the west.

East West differences in Emoticons
EmotionWestEast
'Happy':-)(^_^)
'Sad':-((;_;) or (T_T)
'Surprise':-o(o.o)


I'll let you read it for yourselves on http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/8199951.stm

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flowing with the Full Moon in Scorpio 2024

 A powerful full moon occurs at 4 degrees Scorpio on 23rd April 2024 at 7:48am HK time (00:48 BST). The modern ruler of this full moon, Plut...