Saturday 20 February 2010

Oh Su Jung Versus Karl

I managed to catch a glimpse of some daytime TV during my mid-term/Chinese New Year break.  One of which was a Korean drama called 'Oh Su Jung Versus Karl'.  

Karl is a heavily obese man who is deeply in love with the charming Oh Su Jung.  Unfortunately, Oh Su Jung is only looking for a man who can give her financial security.  The couple is due to be married when Oh Su Jung discovered that Karl has failed his exams and so is unable to become a court judge - Oh Su Jung's reason for marrying Karl.  In the end, the bride walks out on the groom to take up another man's offer - all expenses paid to fly, business class, to New York and attend a course to become a diamond expert.  At the airport, Oh Su Jung summons up the courage to call Karl, justifying her reasons for ditching him at the alter.  She compares his ex-fiancee to pedigree dogs.  With a certificate, one could sell a pedigree dog at a high price, but without that piece of paper, the value drops - even if the 'product' is truly a thoroughbred.   Oh Su Jung explains that even though Karl respects her a great deal and is a man of integrity, he doesn't have the piece of paper to raise his status to earn more money.  On the contrary, the guy she chooses to run away with has enough credentials to give her material comforts.

How important is that piece of paper?  Naturally, one would trust a certified professional to carry out the required procedures, but to use that piece of paper to gauge one's character?  Unfortunately, this is happening as we speak.  This is something I've been struggling with for the past few years, in that, I don't judge others by what certificates they possess, but rather, I do that to myself.  I even went through a phase where having that piece of paper still didn't bring me any security or confidence.

Self-esteem is something which exudes from the inside.  I remember feeling like a fraud despite possessing the external approvals, i.e. in the form of a certificate and praises from people around me.  But funnily enough, I only come to recognise my own abilities and talents when I was challenged by individuals whom I felt had no right to pass comments on me!  Saturn retrograding in my 2nd house is definitely re-highlighting my life lesson on self-worth and values.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Flowing with the Full Moon in Scorpio 2024

 A powerful full moon occurs at 4 degrees Scorpio on 23rd April 2024 at 7:48am HK time (00:48 BST). The modern ruler of this full moon, Plut...